Educational course about Sustainable Fishing & Fishing Tourism
Enaleia organized for the 1st time the educational course about sustainable fishing & fishing tourism – “Fish Smarter” in collaboration with the Cyclades Preservation Fund and the Costas M. Lemos Foundation.
Description of the action: The action aims to give a full perspective of what fishing tourism is as a concept, as well as one professional fisherman can obtain a license for that and how he can attract tourists. In addition, if needed, more information on other sustainable fishing techniques is provided.
After the training, professional fisherman will be aware of:
- what fishing tourism is
- what exactly do they need to get the licence for it
- how they can attract tourists
- how they can earn more money by fishing less.
This educational course is free for the fishermen, thanks to our donors Cyclades Preservation Fund and Costas M. Lemos Foundation.
The training program aims to:
- empower the coastal fishing
- induct young people into professional fishing
- decompress the already reduced fish stocks
- increase the income of fishermen
- boost the local economy by creating new jobs and increase tourist attraction to the island.
“Fish Smarter” pilot
Under the Auspices of
From June 2019 to January 2020, the team of Enaleia visited in total on 8 Cycladic and 2 Ionian islands to promote sustainable fishing and fishing tourism, training in total 92 professional fishermen! The islands that the team of Enaleia visited were: Milos, Kimolos, Paros, Antiparos, Naxos, Amorgos, Kythnos, Anafi, Lefkada and Zante.